Friday, August 12, 2011

Horribly, Stupid Look

Found part of a story on my desktop.  Haven't posted stuffs in a while so I thought I'd share.  Yay.

~~~

    A soft breeze fluttered across my face and I slowly awakened.  My mind tried to remember if I had left the window open last night or not.  Deciding I must have I let myself drift off again.  I rolled over and buried my face into my pillow.  Or at least, what I thought was my pillow.  My brain jolted to full awareness as I realized what I was lying on.  Pushing myself up onto my arms for support, I surveyed the surrounding area.  I was in the middle of a meadow of some sort.  The ground below me consisted of soft grass, loose dirt, and scattered clusters of clovers.

    My still tired mind couldn’t make sense of it.  This wasn’t my room.  How’d I get here?  Where is ‘here’ anyway?  I sat up and rubbed my eyes, wiping the sleep away.  I opened my eyes again slowly, hoping perhaps I was just imagining things.  I wasn’t.  The world around me stayed the same bright meadow it had when I first awoke.  Beyond the meadow, close to 100 or so yards, a thick forest stretched out.  As I turned my head to follow its path I realized it was completely surrounding the meadow.  Behind where I sat the forest was further away, but just as thick as any area.

    I stood up and continued to move my head back and forth, but there wasn’t much else to observe.  That’s when it struck me.  I knew this place.  It had been long ago, but I’d been here before.  I racked my brain for how I knew this place, but was coming up with a blank.  With the realization of recognition a thought popped into my head.  A dream.  This is just a dream.  Of course, if I’ve been anywhere like this before it would be entirely possible for my mind to conjure up nighttime adventures for me in the same atmosphere.  My uneasiness slowly ebbed away as I repeated to myself.  A dream, it’s all just a dream.

    A tuft of grass rubbed up against my leg, blown by the gentle breeze.  I jumped, making a strangled gurgle in my throat in surprise at the touch.  My arachnophobia had long since made simple brushes like this a pain for both me and people around me.  But that wasn’t the strangest part.  I had actually felt the grass, like it was really there.  My eyes locked on to the offending blade of grass and I held my gaze with a horribly, stupid look about my face.  This was no ordinary dream, that much could be distained.

No comments:

Post a Comment